Re: [ietf-dkim] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC6376 (5260)

2018-02-08 13:43:45
On 2/8/2018 11:24 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:
I believe the right solution to this, consistent with the intent of
how email header fields work, is to add a sentence (via errata) to RFC
5322 section 2.2 or section 3.6 -- or both -- somewhat like this:

OLD

    Header fields are lines beginning with a field name, followed by a
    colon (":"), followed by a field body, and terminated by CRLF.  A
    field name MUST be composed of printable US-ASCII characters (i.e.,
    characters that have values between 33 and 126, inclusive), except
    colon.

NEW

    Header fields are lines beginning with a field name, followed by a
    colon (":"), followed by a field body, and terminated by CRLF.  A
    field name MUST be composed of printable US-ASCII characters (i.e.,
    characters that have values between 33 and 126, inclusive), except
    colon.  In all cases, field names are interpreted as case-insensitive
    strings, so that, for example, "Subject", "SUBJECT", and "SuBjEcT"
    are considered to be the same field name.

END

wfm, although as a bit of belsts-and-suspenders, I'd also suggest in Section 3.6.8:

OLD:

   field-name      =   1*ftext

NEW:

   field-name      =   1*ftext
                       ; case insensitive, per sections 2.2 and 3.6

or somesuch.

d/
--
Dave Crocker