Re: [ietf-dkim] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC6376 (5260)

2018-02-08 14:11:49
 NEW

   Header fields are lines beginning with a field name, followed by a
   colon (":"), followed by a field body, and terminated by CRLF.  A
   field name MUST be composed of printable US-ASCII characters (i.e.,
   characters that have values between 33 and 126, inclusive), except
   colon.  In all cases, field names are interpreted as case-insensitive
   strings, so that, for example, "Subject", "SUBJECT", and "SuBjEcT"
   are considered to be the same field name.

Seems reasonable. While we're picking nits, RFC 3864 says you can't register a field with a dot in it, might be worth a mention.

Also, according to the spec, #)*%;' is a valid field name, although I observe that every name in the field name registries is LDH. Would it be worth a note saying that LDH names are likely to interoperate better?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies",