Re: Anonymous signed mail

2004-10-02 18:08:26

In <5AB6FF56-14AF-11D9-8E16-000A95B3BA44(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> Andrew Newton
<andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> writes:

On Oct 2, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Miles Libbey wrote:

is that you believe that hosters will have a tough time managing
DomainKey-like DNS records. If this is indeed true, MARID must have
been a nightmarish proposal to those folks. IPs change frequently and
sometimes without notice, and can't be shared among different domains.

[...]

I didn't follow the MARID discussions -- was there a thread about this?
 Does your quote generally summarize the discussion?  Was this one of
the primary reasons there wasn't overall consensus in MARID?

The concern was largely ignored, though I think CSV actually addresses
the concern.

I disagree that the problem of maintaining LMAP-type systems (which
includes SPF), was largely ignored.  That was one of the difference
between SPF and most of the other LMAP/CallerID proposals, since SPF
allows you to use indirection based off of A RRs and MX RRs.  (I
haven't done exact calculations, but it appears around 75% of all SPF
records do not specify any IP addresses directly.) This was
discussed quite a bit early one.

Of course, such indirection has costs and whether those costs outweigh
the increased reliability is an area where I think reasonable people
can disagree on.  I also think such discussions are way out of scope
for this WG.  I just don't think that such misconceptions as raised by
Miles should go unanswered.

-wayne