Re: costs of different approaches

2004-10-06 11:36:47

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Carl Hutzler wrote:

I agree.

But I also believe that 80% of the mail AOL receives is
A) One Hop today
B) Would pass SPF and SenderID type path checks

So why not deploy something quickly that can satisfy 80% of the requirement?

I agree and have seen similar estimates to everything you say Carl, but
its important to note that without infrastructure upgrades then you can't
reliably reject mail that *fails* an SPF or SID check without causing a
false positive rate of nearly 20%

So SPF and SID are useful to allow whitelisting of the 80% or so of
messages that *pass* checks (and are on the associated whitelist), but
will probably not be useful for anti-forgery checks.

Again, I totally agree with you.  Just wanted to point out the 80-20
corollary.

-Rand