Re: simplicity, focus and adoption; what problem are we trying to solve?

2004-10-28 18:52:12

Without wanting to dispute the other point david makes I do want to disagree
with a point made at the meeting.

A mailing list is not the same as a person resending mail. On a mailing list
we now have an assumption that the user consented to receive the message
from that source.

Its the only time we really have prior consent in the mail system.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Dave Crocker [mailto:dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent:   Thu Oct 28 14:54:19 2004
To:     Michael Thomas
Cc:     IETF MAILSIG WG
Subject:        Re: simplicity, focus and adoption; what problem are we
trying to solve?

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:39:24 -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:
 Dave Crocker writes:
 We are not trying to replicate pgp or s/mime.  We are trying to
 serve an entirely different purpose.  We are trying to say who
 is responsible for injecting this message into the message
 transfer service.

 This is a red herring. Nobody's talking about replacing PGP or
 S/MIME. We're talking about domain based assertions.

My point was about the purpose of the assertion, not the scope for
which it is applied.

PGP and S/Mime make assertions about content authorship.  Note that
the responsibility I described, above, is quite different.

Much of the problem in the current discussion is with a focus on
validating the "author", rather than for establishing a validated,
accountable agent concerned with the message transfer.

 I completely disagree. Mailing lists are nothing more than special
 types of forwarders.

Please review draft-crocker-email-arch.  It is not formally published,
but it has now had enough open review and revision to make me think it
reflects a fair degree of consensus among the email technical
community. The role of a mailing list is fundamentally different from
an MTA.

I went for a couple of decades thinking that a mailing list could be
seen either as a special MTA or else as a special user agent.  The
recent round of architectural discussions -- and especially the impact
of trying to accommodate mailing lists as if they were MTAs -- has
convinced me that they can only be viewed as user agents.

Mailing lists can and do do an arbitrary set of transformations on a
message.  That's not an MTA.  MTA's simply relay a message.  The
changes that a real MTA is allowed to make to a message are highly
constrained to envelope information.

When an MTA does more than that, it is not simply an MTA.  At the
least, it is some sort of translating gateway.

 To try to say that the
 original sending domain has no
 responsibility for injecting the message simply because it
 traverses a mailing list is ludicrous. To whit: I have a very
 strong suspicion that as you read this message that you're not
 thinking that imc.org is responsible for the content of this

You are confusing a higher-level human communication role, performed
by one class of mailing lists, for the architectural role performed by
mailing lists in general.  In general, the rather narrow range of
current practice for email is tending to cause folks to view the
overall service rather narrowly.

We need to be careful that we do not make changes that *require* only
that narrow usage.

 message, but instead... mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com is actually responsible for
 this message. Imc.org is merely facilitating its transmission.

The mailing list is doing far more than "facilitating".  It is
creating a place for messaging exchange among a defined set of
participants.  The policies for the operation of that mailing list are
actually rather rich.

If you want an example of ludicrous, then consider comparing the
architectural role of a group communication service, like a mailing
list, to the limited store-and-forward functions of an MTA.

 The ability to preserve end to end semantics is something that is
 a huge strength of MASS. If you want hopwise
 semantics -- which is what you're advocating even if a hop is not
 limited to a transport hop

So, you want this signature to work across some decades of storage and
re-postings by a sequence of recipients?