FW: simplicity, focus and adoption; what problem are we trying to solve?

2004-10-29 11:53:38

Sorry meant to send this to the list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Barclay [mailto:rbarclay(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net]
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 12:38 PM
To: 'Andrew Newton'
Subject: RE: simplicity, focus and adoption; what problem are we trying
to solve?

On Oct 28, 2004, at 1:06 PM, Robert Barclay wrote:

I would actually go one step further here and say that it is a
specific
goal that the output of the mailsig mechanism is transparent to any
MUA
that has not been specifically designed to know what to do with it.
For
most normal users (the ones, as receivers, most in need of this kind
of
protection) attachments they do not recognize or extra
unrecognizable
text in the body of a message makes the message appear less
trustworthy
rather than more.

I understand your concern, but "any"?  If it is to be "any MUA" then
we
might as well stop now.  I think "most common MUAs" is a better goal.

I guess the way I would put it the absolute perfect solution would be
transparent to any MUA, an acceptable solution would be one that did not
make messages appear less secure to the wide majority of non-technical
users
of common currently deployed MUA's.
Does this seem more reasonable?
-andy