Re: mailing list software, was What does the mailsig mechanism mean?

2004-11-01 16:17:03

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 15:22 -0500, John Dennis wrote:
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 14:42, Michael Thomas wrote:
Any breakdown on the different ways that they are mangled?
The things that I know about are:

1) white space insertion
2) adding trailers (generally)
3) adding trailers which are "mime friendly"
4) Mbox mode bogosities (eg ">From ")
5) plain text <--> mime conversion
6) attachment stripping

Of these I've only really encountered #2 and #3 in any great quantities.
I'd be happy enough with a solution with works with these alone,
although I see no harm in handling the others if it's easy enough to do.

Attachment stripping in particular I don't think it's worth losing sleep
over -- if the list strips attachments then the user can 'work around'
the 'problem' by not sending attachments in the first place.

It occurs to me that an RFC2822-based scheme with only a single
signature _could_ deal with the common mailing list case without having
to be permissive -- as long as the signature on the mailing list's
output is on the Sender: header and _not_ the From: header. And of
course that extends to using the Resent-Sender: or Resent-From: headers
as appropriate if such exist.

As long as we don't try to make a signature based on the From: header
survive mangling by mailing lists, it doesn't have to be too complex.

--
dwmw2