Re: mailing list software, was What does the mailsig mechanism mean?

2004-11-01 16:44:13

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 18:14, David Woodhouse wrote:
Attachment stripping in particular I don't think it's worth losing sleep
over -- if the list strips attachments then the user can 'work around'
the 'problem' by not sending attachments in the first place.

The cynic in me says you're giving users vastly more credit than they
deserve. I live in two worlds, at work everyone is technically competent
and understands mail configuration, these folks are a minority and can
deal with it. In my social life mailing lists play a large role in the
groups I'm involved with and I run mailing lists for some of them. These
people can barely find the power button on their computer, if they have
to be attachment savvy to avoid mysterious email rejection (hey, what's
wrong! the mailing list is busted, Suzy isn't getting my email) this is
going to fail in the real world. Many of these users don't even know
they've configured their MUA to automatically attach things like VCards,
or are unwilling to turn that off globally because they need it on for
work (also don't forget some MUA's always add binary data users are
never aware of).

Personally I've given up trying to explain the in's and out's of email
to people, some of which are quite bright. I think anything that is
going to require users to configure their MUA or be savvy in any fashion
is doomed, it has to be absolutely transparent with current practice.

Just my 2 cents from the trenches ;-)
--
John Dennis <jdennis(_at_)redhat(_dot_)com>