RE: How mailing lists really work in 2004

2004-12-07 08:02:31

On 7 Dec 2004, John R Levine wrote:

But this does bring interesting point as since there are yahoo people here
perhaps they can be kind enough to set a test mail list with setting such
that it does maximum level of modifications to emails, so we test various
solutions on it.

I can't imagine why you think that Yahoo would have any interest in doing
that.

It took me about 10 minutes to set up my own yahoo group and run some HTML
and multipart messages through it to see what happens.  Is there some
reason you couldn't do the same thing and learn something about what list
software does rather than guessing?

I will but I thought it would be better if we had more official testing
ground for this group.

BTW - I'm signed up on 3 yahoo mail lists (only one of them technical),
and I have not seen anything serious based on those lists to indicate
that yahoo system would be prone to problems with email signatures.

Also regarding majordomo2, I also use it and as far as I know you cant
force it to change existing html part of email -

This might be a good time to learn about mj2's attachment filters and
message fronters. Again, why don't you learn more about what it actually
does rather than guessing?

I'm not guessing. I know that mj2 can remove attachments and many use that
to get rid of possible viruses. That removal of attachments is the reason
why I wanted mime-part signature in the first place (if you remember this
was the first thing I said when domainkeys was first intoduced at asrg).

While you're at it, you might want to look at the Sympa list manager,
widely used in Europe, which messes with S/MIME signatures.

Thank you for mentioning it. I'll take a loom at Sympa with which I'm not
familiar with at all.

P.S. I was absolutly serious that having testing ground as part of MASS
is not bad. We have people here from different different companies that
use different systems. If you have something exotic that seriously changes
email in transit, please consider donating an account for this group.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks