Re: Want a BoF at IETF 62?

2005-01-04 22:19:03

MASS is supposed to address one of the biggest problems in the Internet
today.  As such, I do not want to see progress stop because meeting will
"use up" our second BoF.  Sometimes a face-to-face session is needed to
make progress.  I am willing to sponsor a BoF if there is a reason to do
so, even if the result is not a final charter proposal.  However, the BoF
must be a step toward such a charter.

Maybe the working group needs to be chartered in phases.  The first phase
might be figuring out which proposal has clear and strong momentum.  I have
no idea what the milestones would be for such a thing.  I'm just brainstorming.

Russ, there are times when the "divide and conquer" approach will work. I do
not believe this is one of them. We either come up with a complete proposal,
including fairly detailed deployment guidelines, or we're not going to
get anywhere.

For whatever reason the IETF has gotten into the business of specifying
technologies rather than complete services. This works for some things, but
"once we spec it someone else will figure out how to use it" just isn't
sufficient here.

                                Ned