Re: Good as the enemy of OK

2005-01-15 15:38:24

"John" == John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> writes:

    >> The problem is that typically a key will be used to sign
    >> messages for the entire domain.

    John> Take a look at DK.  It lets you use whatever granularity you
    John> want, by publishing as many keys as you want in DNS, and
    John> having each signature say which key it's using.

I understand the proposals support this.  I said typically.  As far as
I can tell the scaling analysis assumes that a lot of domains will use
one key per domain and that (particularly affinity domains) will use
per-user keys.

I have not seen an argument that these proposals scale to a key per
message.  I'm not saying they don't; I'm saying that's not how people
seem to be thinking about the problem or writing software.

MASS can decide that most users will want per-user keys.  Doing so
would involve textual change in the documents and it might cause some
people to change their evaluations of scaling attributes.

--Sam