Re: In response to Housley-mass-sec-review

2005-03-08 05:35:51

On Mar 8, 2005, at 12:56 AM, Jim Fenton wrote:
This depends on all authoritative DNS servers being tightly coupled to the revocation infrastructure, and I'm not sure how practical that is for everyone. Some mail domains probably don't run their own name servers; they may do this through their registrar. And every "hammering" is one that got away (notwithstanding your next comment):

Arguments about the administrative proximity of DNS and email have been made ever since the idea of DNS-based sender authentication started. If an organization has this little control over their own zones, then DK/IIM have more basic problems, as in how will they get the key in the zone in the first place much less manage key roll-over. In fact, this will be an issue from some domain holders but we will probably never know just how slight or serious this problem really is.

If this is the case, how long must the revocation records be retained? It must be much longer than has been discussed for keys (a week or so to allow delivery of queued messages).

I don't understand this. Why would it be any longer than the signing key?

I'm not saying revocation indicators are bad -- I'm still trying to decide what I think. But I'm concerned they're being oversold a bit.

Something that actually prevented the replay attack would be best, but we don't seem to have one. My own opinion is that revocation IDs are good enough. Of course, we could turn Doug's idea on its head and do validation IDs requiring the presence of A records for all valid messages, but I would guess this would really be an administrative challenge.

-andy