Re: In response to Housley-mass-sec-review

2005-03-08 13:45:51

On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Jim Fenton wrote:

Yes, it is. Since we lost the context here, we're discussing the idea of re-checking the revocation indicator when the message is read. The message may be read well beyond the validity of the signature, which is the scope of replay. It isn't necessarily a problem keeping the revocation IDs a long time, but it isn't obvious how long that is.

You are suggesting that a device designed to protect a signed message from replay is not very good outside the scope of the signed message. I agree because it wasn't meant to be. If a message is being authenticated after its signing key is no longer valid, replay is likely a minor concern among many thornier issues.

-andy