Re: Content-Digest: TEXT canonicalization

2005-07-17 10:52:22

On July 17, 2005 at 09:39, "william(at)elan.net" wrote:

* Why is step (2) needed?

In case line is longer then 998 characters (which it really should not
be for text data). Splitting such lines at 998 octet is what some
programs might do.

Does the splitting happen during tranmission?  At the MUA level,
is the splitting only for rendering purposes while the data
is left as-is?

I'm inclined to omit the step unless there are some real-world
cases that it is applicable.

Also, if someone is generating a Content-Digest for a line
larger than 998 octets, then they are going against recommend
practices.

* Why does (4) only apply to the beginning of the body part and not
 the end?  I know of real-world cases where dropping LWSP at the
 end of the body part is needed.

Can I ask which these are?

When working with sendmail awhile back, I noticed that sendmail
sometimes added an extra CRLF at then of the message body.

--ewh