Re: MASS Proposals Comparison Matrix

2005-07-18 13:53:06

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Earl Hood wrote:

It is invisible in most MUAs (its supposed to if MUA follows MIME specs).
MIME says that unknown Multipart types are supposed to be ignored and
MTA Signatures takes advantage of that and puts its signature in
Multipart/Postal-data message part.

I thought unknown multipart types were to be treated as
mulitpart/mixed.

You're right. Rereading RFC2046 I see:

  The "mixed" subtype of "multipart" is intended for use when the body
  parts are independent and need to be bundled in a particular order.
  Any "multipart" subtypes that an implementation does not recognize
  must be treated as being of subtype "mixed".

It was a while ago, so I don't quite remeber everything that went with
MTA Signaturess development, but I think I did some testing on outlook
& mozilla and it seems they ignored new multipart (or at least did not create any problems like it happens if it were part of multipart/signed). I'll however modify the matrix and say that signature is visible in MUA.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks