Re: DKIM: Does DKIM provide adequate protection from a malicious domain from spoofing a sender's address?

2005-07-20 08:05:12

At 23:19 19-07-2005, Earl Hood wrote:
What prevents a malicious domain from spoofing a sender's address?
I.e.  Is there anything in DKIM that (effectively) prevents a malicious
domain from using my personal address, or any one elses address?

The receiver's domain determines what action to take if the email fails verification. If the published sender's DKIM policy states that all email is signed, such spoofs can be caught.

Section 6.6 appears to try to address this, but I am not sure
it is strong enough:

 In order to retain the current semantics and visibility of the From
 header field, verifying mail agents SHOULD take steps to ensure
 that the signing address is prominently visible to the user if it
 is different from the From address. If MUA implementations that
 highlight the signed address are not available, this MAY be done
 by the validating MTA or MDA by rewriting the From address in a
 manner which remains compliant with [RFC2822]

Is SHOULD good enough?  And is rewriting, at least in the given
example, sufficient.

For example, ispoofyou.org creates the appropriate DNS records
containing all require key information for DKIM usage and
sends out a message like the following: