Re: Comments on draft-allman-dkim-base-00.txt

2005-07-31 08:50:26

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Earl Hood wrote:

There's no reason why these two need to be coupled at all.
Indeed, it would make a lot of sense to couple a generic
message signature protocol to the key retrieval mechanism
described here.

Agreed.  I think Meta-Signatures proposals uses this approach.
I think the message signature protocol can even be further divided
into a digesting protocol and a signing protocol.

Didn't I do it already? In META-Signatures signing framework body digest is completely separated from header signature. In latest META 0.2 the digest for header fields data is also a separate segment further signifying separation of various components and allowing new systems to introducing different type of digest segment. I could separate META Signature sections into separate header fields (as was done in META 0.1x) but it was a bit too verbose and I decided with one field with several sections.

to sign (arbitrary) header fields.  S/MIME and OpenPGP are limited
in this regard.  For example, from a spamming/phishing context,
header fields like Subject and From are important.

This is very very easy to add. I had that specified in MTA Signatures
(which is largerly S/MIME) as additional signed attributes.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks