Re: One space proposal

2005-08-07 07:40:30

Earl Hood wrote:

I think the "one space" algorithm may have unattended
consequences for some text media types (e.g.
text/tab-separated-values).

Still better than ignoring WSP or FWS completely.

One oddity discussed in USEFOR:  For NetNews an SP after
the first colon of header fields is required.  No FWS,
no WSP, it's really SP.

Worse, if the UA doesn't get it right news servers fix
it on the fly (in USEFOR terminology "injection agents",
in practice the news server where an article is posted)

I've tested the effect of 'name colon HT body CRLF', in
that case two tested INN servers replaced HT by SP.  I
also tested 'name colon body CRLF', the servers added
the missing SP.

Add fun like no-SP-UA -> mail2news -> news2mail -> MTA,
and the MTA will see 'colon SP' which started without
SP (or only HT).

If DKIM is meant to survive mail2news + news2mail please
be tolerant with this funny "magic SP" in your algorithm.

                      Bye, Frank