Re: Comment on draft-showalter-sieve-02.txt

1997-10-31 13:53:07

Tim Showalter writes:
* Syntax/link errors shouldn't be exceptions.

  I'm not sure what a link error would be in a language like sieve;
was thinking that all implementations would be heavily based on a
lisp-like engine of some sort, but perhaps I misunderstand it.  I
agree that syntax errors should not be exceptions.  Further, I think
syntax errors should be caught before interpretation begins.

Having exception handling in a language without loops, subroutines, or
variables seems like overkill.

  Ok, this makes sense.

Regarding Python-style indents, I'm one of the people who doesn't think it's
"clean" and am against it.

  Hmm, perhaps I wasn't clear; I'm not advocating the adoption of a
Python-like syntax for sieve.  I was just trying to clarify the point
about Python syntax.  (Which is not to say that I think
indentation-based syntax is bad; I like it.  It's just not that
important for something like sieve.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake(_at_)cnri(_dot_)reston(_dot_)va(_dot_)us