Re: sieve draft

1997-11-04 09:41:07
At 10:32 PM 11/2/96 +0100, Tomas Fasth wrote:
Bart Schaefer wrote:

It's certainly possible to handle it that way.  However, note that there
are nonzero costs associated with accepting delivery.  If the typical
message to my hypothetical support service contains a many-megabyte
coredump (and I have direct experience with users who mail such things
to support addresses), I'd much rather refuse delivery altogether than
have to consume the bandwidth to accept the message and then discard it.

I can see your point.

But in order to avoid consuming bandwidth you need to apply the
filtering rules as part of SMTP negotiation. The information
available at that point will limit your filtering rules to operate
on the addresses of the originator and the recipients as negotiated
by MAIL and RCPT, and possibly some peer information.

well, if I remember one of the discussion at the conference in
Memphis right, the problem occured if mail was send to A and B,
where A and B had different sets of filtering rules.  you would
have to accept both of them, and then apply another filtering
after the message duplication had occured.

regards,
Jack
Jack De Winter - Wildbear Consulting, Inc.
(519) 884-4498          http://www.wildbear.on.ca/jacks/