Re: How to handle script errors

1998-02-12 15:46:22
From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon(_at_)esys(_dot_)ca>
Cc: MTA Filters List <ietf-mta-filters(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:39:58 -0700 (MST)

On 12 Feb 1998 16:27:38 -0500 Tim Showalter
<tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu> wrote:

If the time of final delivery for a system is such that the default mailbox
may be on a server different from the one where the message is being
processed, the server is going to have to have the ability to deposit mail
into an arbitrary mailbox, even if the server's down, even if the mailbox
is on another server, then the system is going to have to be able to deal
with it.

From the start I've considered the "mailbox" to be an opaque label. If
a server decides to interpret mailbox names as IMAP URLs (say), SIEVE
shouldn't care. While I agree that there are silly ways to abuse such a
facility, as long as it's allowed you can't count on a folder being
local (short of mandating that in the spec).

I'm not saying folders are local.  I'm saying the filtering agent has to be
able to write to them in some useful way, and that the filtering agent is
going to have to deal with "mailbox is unavailble" errors.

This doesn't change the fact that the filtering agent has to be able to
write a message to the message store.  I guess I shouldn't say "write" --
it has to have the ability to add a message to the message store without
going through SMTP again.

--
                                          Tim Showalter
tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu