Re: Duplicated header lines

1999-01-22 00:41:47
Date: 21 Jan 1999 22:29:41 -0500
From: Lawrence Greenfield <leg+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>

The other day I received a mail message with multiple "To" lines, and
this got me thinking---what is the definition of the "header" test
when a header appears multiple times?

I've thought about fixing this by appending the contents of a header
that appears multiple times together, possibly with a \r\n in
between.  (I'm lazy.)

Tim suggested that instead a header test be run against each instance
of the header, and the result OR'd together.  (But this is also easy.)

For the message fragment

        To: mumble(_at_)blatz(_dot_)org
        To: tjs(_at_)kgb(_dot_)org

the string "mumble(_at_)blatz(_dot_)org\r\ntjs@kgb.org" does not appear, but by
the
first algorithm specified, it would match, but it never occurs.

This is nearly absurd for structured address headers but less so on
random other headers (perhaps Received).

Oh, whatever we called the address-in-header command should parse all
headers specified.

We are splitting hairs so fine the electrons are flying away from the protons.

--
Tim Showalter <tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>