Re: Multiple actions in Sieve script.

1999-01-21 20:53:03
Lawrence Greenfield wrote:
Issue #2: Multiple Actions

Currently, sieve can allow multiple actions to be taken.  Consider the
following script:

keep;
forward "greenfie(_at_)gauss(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu";

To me, this is a logically coherent script, and should take the action
of both forwarding all mail and storing it as normal.  It is different
from the script:

forward "greenfie(_at_)gauss(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu";

which does _not_ keep the mail locally.  The default "keep" action is
_only_ taken when no explicit actions occur in the script.

Agreed.

To me, "forward", "fileinto", and "keep" are all compatible.  We could
say that this is implementation dependant, and any use of multiple
actions could be treated as a run-time error like #1 above.

I would prefer that it be well specified. It would be impossible to
write such a script that depends on multiple actions without such
guarantees; making it implementation dependant would prevent that.

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com