Re: Multiple actions in Sieve script.

1999-01-25 17:43:28
Randall wrote:

Incidentially, I really think we should dump implicit keep. If this is
not the case, I'd really like to know it now.

What does that mean?  Surely the default action must still be keep.

I agree.
I still think it is quite clear when implicit keep will be performed (no
action or run-time failure).

Tim wrote:

My intent was that many "FileInto"s can be obeyed IF the server supports
FileInto at all.

I agree.

If the server supports "FileOnlyInto", only one invocation works (either
the first or the last).

Tim Showalter wrote:

I suggest "FileInto" and "FileOnlyInto", or possibly, add an optional
tagged argument to Fileinto, ":only".

Is the intent of the "only" part to prevent also doing a non-only?

No.  I wasn't clear.  I find the terminology "FileInto" and "CopyInto"
confusing because the terms do not clearly specify what they do.

Actually, neither do "FileOnlyInto" and "FileInto" or whatever.  Blah.

My intent was that many "FileInto"s can be obeyed IF the server supports
FileInto at all.

If the server supports "FileOnlyInto", only one invocation works (either
the first or the last).

Ack.  Perhaps "MoveInto" is best, and the last one is the only one
obeyed.  I dunno.

I would like to see only one FileInto action that may take a list of mailboxes
as parameter (and may be :only argument). If server doesn't support multiple
FileInto it may file into first mailbox only and ignore all other mailboxes
and other fileinto's.

As I understand we are trying to solve few different problems:

1). How to treat multiple FileInto - additive or selective (first/last)?
my opinion: Additive, if server supports multiple FileInto. Otherwise file
into last.

2). Can FileInto have multiple parameters? How treat them if the answer is
yes?
my opinion: Yes. Treat FileInto with multiple parameters as atomic operation
[as Matthew proposed] (the alternative is to treat it as multiple operations).

3). What to do if fileinto fails?

--
Best Regards,
Alexey Melnikov