Re: Multiple actions in Sieve script.

1999-01-25 09:32:40

Lawrence Greenfield wrote:

There are a couple of interrelated issues here, and I'd like to try
to seperate them.  Please let me know if I have this right.  I've also
included my opinions on each...

Issue #1 -- Conflicting Actions:

I'd like to know what the semantics of the following script is:

forward "greenfie(_at_)gauss(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu";
reject "i no longer read electronic mail";

I believe such scripts should create an error, and that the default
action ("keep") should be taken.

I agree.

---

Issue #2: Multiple Actions

Currently, sieve can allow multiple actions to be taken.  Consider the
following script:

keep;
forward "greenfie(_at_)gauss(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu";

To me, this is a logically coherent script, and should take the action
of both forwarding all mail and storing it as normal.  It is different
from the script:

forward "greenfie(_at_)gauss(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu";

which does _not_ keep the mail locally.  The default "keep" action is
_only_ taken when no explicit actions occur in the script.

To me, "forward", "fileinto", and "keep" are all compatible.  We could
say that this is implementation dependant, and any use of multiple
actions could be treated as a run-time error like #1 above.

I interpret SIEVE document the same way.

--
Alexey Melnikov