Re: Multiple actions in Sieve script.

1999-01-26 16:26:47
Tim Showalter wrote:

I do agree that the rule needs to be that the default is only taken when
no
other action of any sort, not just ones on a short list, has been.

So if a script only does a reply, is the message kept or discarded?
Neither is specified, so one has to be the default action.

Reply is not in draft 06, 05, or 04, because in LA, it was decided that
reply was dangerous without some sort of vacation-style protection
(limit number of replies in a single time period).

However, "no other action of any sort" would imply that it is discarded.

(I wouldn't mind having a vacation command that also implied a keep, but
that's not what we're talking about here.)

What's wrong with saying that some actions affect delivery status,
and other actions don't?

If you're having these things in a UI, it doesn't matter what we say, we
can (we have to) assume the UI will just get it right.

But for the people designing the UI, and the people implementing scripts
using a text editor, the fewer special cases, the better.

It is much easier to explain this:
  "A message that generates no actions gets filed into your INBOX."

than this:
  "A message that generates no delivery actions gets filed into your
  INBOX.  Delivery actions are ones which change the disposition of the
  message, and they are reject, forward, and fileinto."

I agree in general, but IMHO standards are written for people who are
supposed to
read them.
It is not a big deal to add few additional checkbox or whatever.

--
Best Regards,
Alexey Melnikov