Re: sieve-06bis

1999-02-15 14:39:08
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:12:53 -0500
From: Tony Hansen <tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com>

Tim Showalter wrote:

Hi.  This draft has some of the changes folks have asked for.  Notably
missing are the things Steve posted that I wasn't sure about, noted in
my previous message, and anything related to multiple fileinto.

A few typos and mostly minor comments.

Thank you.

As I was reading section 4, I kept wondering what the "require" string
was supposed to be for each of the optional commands. I suggest adding
that information to each section of an action that is optional.

   Because some implementations cannot implement the reject command, it
   is optional.
               ^^ The string to be used for the require command is "reject".

What is "envelope" supposed to represent? The envelope test is not
optional, or if it is, it's not marked as such.

Does this need to be optional?  I can't remember anymore.

5.4.     Test envelope

This section is written strictly in terms of SMTP. Other transfer protocols
do exist and should not be dismissed.

I'd rather going to add some generic text at the bottom.  Is that okay?

(I've fixed the RFC-822 reference, of course.)

I've added this text to the bottom of 5.4:
| If a protocol other than SMTP is used for message transport,
| implementations are expected to adapt this command, mapping the "from"
| and "to" envelope parts to the appropriate parts of the envelope.

The Test address and Test envelope sections need examples:

   Example:     if address :all "from" :is "tim(_at_)example(_dot_)com" {
                      discard;
                }

   Example:     if envelope :all "from" :is "tim(_at_)example(_dot_)com" {
                      discard;
                }

I've added these, moving the :is argument towards the front of the
command (envelope :all :is "from" "tim(_at_)example(_dot_)com").

7.      Transmission

This needs the complete registration section from the MIME documents
(RFC 2048). Suggested text follows:

I'm doing some markup, but will otherwise take this completely.

I assume we need a Mac filetype.  I can't remember the rules on those;
can someone come up with one?  (SIVE, in whatever case is appropriate,
would be good, I think).

Thanks...

--
Tim Showalter <tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>