Re: sieve 13, corrections made during last-call discussion

2000-11-02 18:44:19

Tim Showalter wrote:

Ken Murchison <ken(_at_)oceana(_dot_)com> writes:

Here's another fly in the ointment: What about 'domain-literals'?  Even
[IMAIL] discourages that they be used.  Should we just define the syntax
of what sieve should support in its entirety, or am I just being a pain
in the ass now?  (taking a 4 year-old trick-or-treating will do that to
you :^)

I really don't want to define the whole syntax.

I have no problem with allowing domain literals, or, in fact, any of the
comment stuff that's in 822.  Those are potentially useful, and while
they're discouraged, there's no real good way around them.

Okay, one more time:

2.4.2.3. Addresses

A number of commands call for email addresses, which are also a subset
of strings.  When these addresses are used in outbound contexts,
addresses must be compliant with [IMAIL], but are further constrained.
Using the symbols defined in [IMAIL], section 6.1, the syntax of an
address is:

.nf
        sieve-address = addr-spec               ; simple address
                      / phrase addr-spec        ; name & addr-spec
.fi

That is, routes and group syntax are not permitted.  If multiple
addresses are required, use a string list.  Named groups are not used
here.

Implementations MUST ensure that the addresses are syntactically
valid, but need not ensure that they actually identify an email
recipient.

Tim

Looks good to me.

One last point (I promise :^)  Are you going to use sieve-address in the
formal grammar for redirect/vacation?  I think just saying that
addresses "are also a subset
of strings" leaves room for someone to do:

redirect text:
Nobody
(test user)
<foo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com>
.
;

Do we really want to allow this?  This should still parse OK, but it's
pretty ugly.  Maybe stating that addresses are a subset of
quoted-strings would be better?  Or better yet, define:

addr    = DQUOTE addr-spec DQUOTE               ; simple address
        / QUOTE phrase addr-spec QUOTE          ; name & addr-spec

addr-list = "[" addr *("," addr) "]" / addr

And 'addr' and 'addr-list' would be used in the definitions of redirect
and vacation.

Just a thought.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127