Re: notes on the managesieve protocol

2001-03-30 19:15:41

Thanks for the input. Sorry for the delay replying to this.

Notes on the managesieve protocol:

* add BYE <reason> to login message "OK"

Do you mean so the server can drop connections after failed logins such as:

BYE "Too many failed login attempts"
<connection closed>

I'd agree with this. Should the server be allowed to give this response to
other commands? I see no reason why not.

* support anonymous sasl mode for syntax verification only

I like this idea. It'll be in the next revision.

* Typo "SETACRIVE" line 588

* add semantic information in ebnf for response-listscripts: "ACTIVE
 string MUST NOT be present on more than one sieve-name).  Also add
 some text in the document with a MUST about this.

Agreed.

* client inactivity resulting in server autologouts should be
 discussed, maybe also a MUST on minimum time (30 minutes, like
 IMAP).

Agreed.

* just a thought: managesieve is not specific to sieve, perhaps it
 could be extended into allowing any language.  if the management
 protocol for mail splitting is language-independent we can replace
 sieve and keep the toolbase, when we discover that we want a turing
 complete language.

This main goal of managesieve was to make something that was easy to implement
so people could use sieve now. ACAP/LDAP provide more general solutions that,
in the long run, TuringSieve scripts (or whatever) could be stored on.