Proposed MANAGESIEVE changes

2003-04-01 12:32:18

Here are the proposed changes to MANAGESIEVE that I mentioned at IETF.
These have been sent to and accepted by Tim Martin already:

1. Based on the fact that the server no longer auto-issues the
capabilities response (per draft -04), paragraph 3 of section 2.2 should
be changed to something like (stolen from RFC 2595):

      Once TLS has been started, the client MUST discard cached
      information about server capabilities and SHOULD re-issue the
      CAPABILITY command.  This is necessary to protect against
      man-in-the-middle attacks which alter the capabilities list prior
      to STARTTLS.  The server MAY advertise different capabilities
      after STARTTLS.

2. Based on Cyrus Murder/virtdomains work, Rob Siemborski and I propose
the following augmented Sieve URL grammar:

sieveurl = "sieve://" [ [ authinfo "@" ] hostport ] "/" scriptname

authinfo = authid [ ";" userid ]

authid = userid = *( unreserved | escaped |

scriptname = *pchar

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127