Re: Last Call: Sieve -- Subaddress Extension to Proposed Standard

2003-04-03 11:30:43

Ken Murchison wrote:
The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request to consider Sieve -- Subaddress
Extension <draft-murchison-sieve-subaddress-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product
of an IETF Working Group.

final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2003-4-25.

Just sent in an update.  You can grab it from here until it gets posted:

ftp://ftp.oceana.com/pub/drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-subaddress-06.txt
http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-murchison-sieve-subaddress-06.txt

Ken, looks good. 4 comments:

1)You might find FastMail's subdomain detail implementation interesting, as documented at http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts/AliasesAndVirtualDomains.htm#SubDomain . It meshes well with your proposed extension - this comment is just an FYI, not a request for any change. It exists because many systems don't allow + in email addresses, and because it's cool. By the time SIEVE sees the email, however, the address has been converted, so Sieve can see the canonical form that your extension understands:

matthewselvey+lists(_dot_)bawug(_at_)f-m(_dot_)Dom
(user+detail(_at_)canonicaldomain(_dot_)Dom instead of
detail(_at_)alias(_dot_)alternatedomain(_dot_)Dom)
This canonical form is in the envelope to, which is (I agree) the best address
to test against.

Example (trimmed) header

From: wireless-request(_at_)lists(_dot_)bawug(_dot_)Dom
To: lists(_dot_)bawug(_at_)me2004(_dot_)sent(_dot_)Dom

2)Does the spec leave undefined  how it would parse

user+detail1+detail2(_at_)canonicaldomain(_dot_)Dom?  It seems to assume only
one separator character.
I suggest :user reference the "leftmost separator" and :detail reference the
"rightmost separator".
That would leave detail1 unextractable by this extension however.

3)Suggested correction:
envelope :detail ["to", "cc", "bcc"] "foo"
is nonsense; envelopes don't have "cc" or "bcc"; eliminate them.

4)(Question for anyone on the list:) - Apropos use of the null key ("") in this extension: Should header :contains "Subject" "" return true for all mail with a Subject header? Perhaps its an implementation error , but this type| of test doesn't work on FastMail (which uses Cyrus IMAP); exists must be used. My reading of the spec is that this should ("MUST") work.

Let me know what you think. I didn't email iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; didn't seem to make sense at this juncture.

-Matthew Elvey