Re: variables: dynamic match patterns

2003-04-14 12:43:00

[Ned Freed]:

  Fair enough, but the case that breaks the bank is body. You really
  really really want to do all your body search operations in a
  single passs. If you don't you can easily write scripts that have
  serious performance problems.

agreed.

  I don't especially care about the case of optimizing the header,
  address, envelope, and string tests, but body is a serious
  problem. And it seems fairly awkward to say that the match
  parameter doesn't get expanded in body but does elsewhere.

how about:

(somewhere at the start of the specification:)
  A constant string is a string or multi-line value without variable