Re: List variables in Sieve (Re: variables draft (draft-homme-sieve-variables-00.txt))

2003-04-17 13:38:38

[Ned Freed]:

  Folks, I think we have reached a point where a revised I-D for the
  variables document is in order. I'm starting to lose track of
  where we are on some of these changes...

I fully agree, but I'd like some feedback on a very important issue
first, the syntax vs. semantics issue.

semantics seems the easier bolt-on, but syntax is the smoothest change
IMO.  in particular, the backslash handling feels more natural.
consider "\${foo}".  if we change syntax, the backslash will quote the
dollar so that it isn't a variable reference.  if we change semantics
of strings, the backslash has no effect.

I'm personally in the semantics camp. Smooth changes are good.