Re: New Sieve extension "refuse" proposal - draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01h

2004-02-24 20:11:30

On 2/22/2004 4:23 PM, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com sent forth
electrons to convey:

On 2/20/2004 9:41 AM, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com sent forth electrons to convey:

> The main problem with the idea of relaxing the rules for reject to
> allow it to
> generate DSNs or a 5xy error when running on an MTA is that a script will
> behave in a fairly different way depending on whether you run it on an
> MUA or a
> MTA. I really don't like this. And if you use a require tag to mean
> "change the
> semantics of reject to refuse" and make it so the tag only works  on
> MTAs,
> you're back to having to change the scripts when you move them around.
> Its just
> generally cleaner to have two different actions here and have one of
> them be
> MTA-only.

It's unavoidable for behavior to differ between an MUA and an MTA, if
there is support for a "refuse" action.

This presupposes that refuse is supportable on an MUA.

I didn't (mean to) communicate that.  What I meant to communicate:

It's unavoidable for behavior to differ between an MUA and an MTA, if
there is support for a "refuse" action (in Sieve when not on an MUA).

I don't think it is or
should be.

So I am correct in concluding that you support the draft (the version posted to the list, which is still the latest version) insofar as refuse should be a new action, and MUAs must not claim to support it?
You argued:

And if you use a require tag to mean "change the
semantics of reject to refuse" and make it so the tag only works on MTAs,
you're back to having to change the scripts when you move them around.

Yes, you'd have to change scripts using 'refuse' when you move them around whether 'refuse' changes the semantics of reject or not. Here's an idea: an implementation supporting 'refuse' MUST refuse at smtp time whenever possible. In other words, we make being an MUA an acceptable exception allowing an implementation to fail to refuse with a 5xx reply code (and instead send an MDN). We make script changes unnecessary, and yet it's still clear that your sieve client is refusing at smtp time whenever possible. Anyone who cares is likely to understand that MUAs can't refuse at smtp time.