Re: New Sieve extension "refuse" proposal - draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01h

2004-02-13 14:01:06

I would argue that there is a need, or at least desire, to have both "reject"
and "refuse".

For one thing, you can't internationalize "refuse".  We have people who want to
ensure for some
more "friendly" bounces that the original sender will see some "friendly"
explanatory text.  So they
want to use "reject" so that they can: (a) ensure that their own text is
presented to the original sending
user (SMTP rejection text, in contrast, may or may not end up getting presented
to the original sender),
and possibly (b) use another language/charset (language-appropriate subset of
UTF8) for their rejection
text, possibly customizing the choice of language/characters based on
characteristics of the message
being rejected.

But in other cases, with more "unfriendly" bounces, rejecting the message at
the SMTP level is more
desirable.  When it's more important to limit load on or protect your own
server vs. being "friendly" to
the original sender, then "reject" can be more appealing.

I can therefore envision cases of Sieve scripts that might wish to use both.

Regards,

Kristin
kristin(_dot_)hubner(_at_)sun(_dot_)com