Re: New Sieve extension "refuse" proposal - draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01h

2004-02-13 08:37:27

Hi Arnt,

--On Friday, February 13, 2004 11:28 AM +0100 Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:

| I suggest adding a sentence saying that SMTP refusal may happen at the
| RCPT TO or DATA stages, depending on what's convenient to the
| implementation. (I suppose it might also happen at the MAIL FROM stage,
| if a systemwide sieve does the refusal.)

But SIEVE has to operate on the message data - there isn't enough information before the DATA command to run SIEVE, unless you extend SIEVE with tests for SMTP-Envelope data (e.g. a MAIL FROM test). Frankly any system-wide script like that is better left to the SMTP implentation's own filtering/ruleset behaviour.

--
Cyrus Daboo