Re: New Sieve extension "refuse" proposal - draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01h

2004-02-13 08:46:49

Cyrus Daboo writes:
But SIEVE has to operate on the message data - there isn't enough information before the DATA command to run SIEVE, unless you extend SIEVE with tests for SMTP-Envelope data (e.g. a MAIL FROM test).

As I remember the draft I read, a spamtest implementation can legally arrive at a conclusion without considering the body, so if the script's first rule is a spam test, the body need not be considered. (I agree that the body will almost always be considered.)

Anyway, I think the possibility of e.g. a future MAIL FROM test is reason enough to _permit_ the refusal to happen at any stage of the SMTP/LTMP process.

Frankly any system-wide script like that is better left to the SMTP implentation's own filtering/ruleset behaviour.

Sure, but that own filtering behaviour might just be sieve ;)

Arnt