Re: envelope test syntax?

2004-05-12 00:50:12

Cyrus Daboo wrote:

That said, I have wondered for a while whether it would not be better to have a formal ABNF syntax for the commands and tests. Would that actually be possible or useful?

I don't think so. Programming languages are typically specified as Sieve is, in terms of tokens, a formal grammar, and a standard library. We could do what you suggest--in fact, the early drafts did so. It was not very readable or particularly helpful. Extensions would have to extend the grammar, and that's error-prone and not at all in line with what programming languages usually do. Worse, you wouldn't be able to parse the general language without knowing all the extensions a particular script used.

Tim