Re: Vacation draft

2004-08-02 05:26:34

you have too little faith in the common sense of judges.  a spammer
claiming that a vacation message or a bounce (both should have "MAIL
FROM:<>") is opting-in would be laughed out of court.

I have pretty much no faith at all in the common sense of judges when
it comes to technical issues indeed, and good reasons for doing so.
It may be a German issue, but I doubt it.  I could imagine very well that
a spammer using vacation based opt-in does not get in serious trouble
for a year or even longer over here.  Hell, even without that he may
not get any trouble.  All you can do is subscribing his administrative
addresses to his own list, among others. :-( But that's another point.

First of all, users will be annoyed by being subscribed to a list, and
be very annoyed if subscribed to multiple lists.  Vacation MUST contain
heuristics to lock out mailing lists and their owner/request addresses,
but there is no safe way to detect them.  Subscribing typical users to
old-style lists without web interface causes them grief to no end and
there are enough idiots around having fun doing so.

Michael