Re: Vacation draft

2004-08-03 03:37:18

Why would they bother claiming opt-in?  It wouldn't be worth exposing
their SMTP servers to obvious attack; most people do not have a vacation
command in place most of the time; and it's easier to just lie big
instead of lie small.

Don't ask me about a spammers thinking.  I see all kinds of odd behaviour
that makes no sense to me, including obviously made up excuses and
threats against sueing for blocking their "legitimate" mail.

This time of the year, there is a good chance to hit vacation
auto-responders.  Ask mailing list admins about that issue, but duck
fast. ;-)

I added verbage stating not to reply to Auto-submitted messages (wasn't
there, I was surprised), so in any case, there's an obvious fix for
mailing list managers that aren't covered by List-* headers, owner-*,
*-request, etc.

Good.  Will the new version also contain a warning about the risk of
responding with the old subject?  Since ":subject" already allows to
change it to a fixed subject, everybody can decide between the risk
and losing the context.

Michael