Re: Are option extensions exclusive?

2004-08-12 05:34:25

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 14:05 +0200, Michael Haardt wrote:
there has been talk recently if commands have been extended with new
options, which is the case, although rare (:copy, the suggestion to
rework refuse into reject options).

IMHO, such extensions may be very useful, but so far I miss a
specification if multiple option extensions may be used together or not.

I'd say: _obviously_ extensions which are registered with IANA can be
combined, no matter their mechanisms.  any exceptions to this must be
explicitly listed in the new extension.

o  The extension specifies if it is exclusive or not.  Do we need
   this freedom and does it make sense?

yes.

Anyway, it should be specified somewhere.  If it is, please just
point me to the relevant document.

I don't see a great need, but I guess an update of RFC 3028 could
generalise this paragraph to include tests and options:

   Extension actions MUST state how they interact with actions defined
   in this specification.

e.g.

   Extensions MUST state how they interact with mechanisms defined
   in this specification.

--
Kjetil T.