Sieve base-spec revision I-D

2005-02-15 17:22:57

It missed at least one of the deadlines, so the I-D for the revision
of RFC 3028 can be found at:
        http://sendmail.org/draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-00.txt

Changes from RFC 3028
 1. Split references into normative and informative
 2. Update references to current versions of DSN, IMAP, MDN, and UTF-8 RFCs
 3. Replace "e-mail" with "email"
 4. Incorporate RFC 3028 errata
 5. The "reject" action cancels the implicit keep
 6. Replace references to ACAP with references to the i18n-comparator draft.
    Further work is needed to completely sync with that draft.
 7. Start to update grammar to only permit legal UTF-8 (incomplete)
    and correct various other errors and typos
 8. Update IPR broilerplate

I have some additional fixes for the grammar already queued up for
the -01 rev, so you can probably hold off on picking nits there for
now.  The only open issue I need feedback on there is where bare
CR and LF characters should be allowed.  In comments?  In strings?
In multiline literals?

The other open issues on my list are:

1) removal of the "Tests MUST NOT have side effects" restriction.
   We must permit the behavior of the 'variables' extension; do we
   still want to discourage side-effects in general or should the
   last two paragraphs of section 2.5 simply be dropped?

2) some other clarifications that Cyrus forwarded to me that I
   haven't rolled in yet.  (sorry)

3) are there other changes that should be made to synchronize with
   the i18n-comparator draft?

Respectfully submitted,

Philip Guenther
guenther(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com