Re: Sieve base-spec revision I-D

2005-02-22 11:20:39

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 04:22:52PM -0800, Philip Guenther wrote:

The other open issues on my list are:

1) removal of the "Tests MUST NOT have side effects" restriction.
   We must permit the behavior of the 'variables' extension; do we
   still want to discourage side-effects in general or should the
   last two paragraphs of section 2.5 simply be dropped?

I would either drop them, or isolate the side-effect prohibition to
the message only (i.e., may change the state of the filter, but
must not change the message).

BTW, since the intent is to make accomodation for the variables
extension, perhaps the introductory text about how variables are
not provided (two places) should be amended.

One other minor thing noted:

2.10.2.  Implicit Keep

   > An implicit keep is performed if a message is not written to a
   > mailbox, redirected to a new address, rejected, or explicitly thrown
   > out.  That is, if a fileinto, a keep, a redirect, or a discard is
   > performed, an implicit keep is not.

You've added "rejected" to the first sentence (as well as modifying
4.1), so you should probably also add "reject" to the second sentence.

(of course, this is muddled somewhat by :copy ...)

mm