Re: Sieve base-spec revision I-D

2005-02-15 19:42:47

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no> writes:
On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 16:22 -0800, Philip Guenther wrote:
 3. Replace "e-mail" with "email"

I think this is the wrong way around, no one pronounces "e-mail" in a
manner consistent with the spelling "email" ;-).  however, using _both_
spellings as in 3028 certainly isn't ideal.

<shrug>  Looking again, I see the various IETF webpages aren't
consist on this, some using "email" or "Email", others using "e-mail"
or "E-mail".  I find Donald Knuth's argument for "email", as
reproduced by W. Richard Stevens at:
        http://www.kohala.com/start/papers.others/knuth.email.html

persuasive, but if there's consensus to go the other way I'll change it.

 7. Start to update grammar to only permit legal UTF-8 (incomplete)
    and correct various other errors and typos

too bad RFC 3629 didn't include a syntax class for UTF-8 sans control
codes, I'm sure this will be needed elsewhere, too.  if you are
pedantic, 0x80..0x9F are also code points used for control codes.  so,
don't use UTF8-2, but define your own

While the prose of RFC 3028 at least partially addresses the presence
of NUL, HTAB, CR, and LF in scripts, it doesn't ban any other valid
UTF-8 character.  Can you speak more on why you think control codes
should be banned from strings and comments?

I have some additional fixes for the grammar already queued up for
the -01 rev, so you can probably hold off on picking nits there for
now.  The only open issue I need feedback on there is where bare
CR and LF characters should be allowed.  In comments?  In strings?
In multiline literals?

do we gain anything by supporting bare CR or LF?  I think we should
disallow control characters altogether (except CRLF and HTAB, of
course).  is this too big a change?  I note that 3028 only accepts NUL
inside /**/ comments (gotcha!), so arbitrary binary data isn't supported
currently.

if we keep control characters, solitary CR or LF should be accepted just
as any other odd control character.

<editor hat off>

If I want to search for control characters in a message's subject
(or body, using the body extension) or include them in a vacation
reply or notification message, why shouldn't I be able to?

<editor hat on>

you are aware that quoted-string is hopelessly broken, I'm sure.

Already fixed in my copy.  :-)

wrt bracket-comment, I don't think you need to complicate it much more:

bracket-comment = "/*" (*(CHAR-NOT-STAR / ("*" CHAR-NOT-SLASH)) / "*")
"*/"

That, like the version in 3028, permits "*/" in the middle of a
comment.  I know how to write the grammar for C-style comments; I
just need the consensus on what characters are permitted.

a clarification about ":matches" would be useful: the pattern must match
the entire string.

How about the following for 2.7.1, paragraph 5, first sentence:
        The ":matches" match type specifies a wildcard match using
        the characters "*" and "?"; the entire value must be matched.

Philip Guenther
guenther(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com