Re: The last remaining issue in the Sieve variables draft

2005-04-26 07:43:00

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 13:21 +0100, Nigel Swinson wrote:
I guess it doesn't restrict it, but it does discourage it, and I don't think
it should be discouraged in the way it currently does.  I'd be happier we we
said:

-   Such extensions SHOULD state whether its namespace is modifiable with
-   the "set" action.
+   Such extensions SHOULD state which if any of the variables in its
namespace
+   are modifiable with the "set" action.

sounds good, incorporated.

the term "numbered variable" is restricted to the magic match variables.
perhaps I should replace the term with "match variable" -- might be less
confusing?

Well I've been thinking of Alexey's example:

SET "annotate.body.2.1" "\\Seen";

I thought he'd used numbered variables with the SET action, so whatever we
do, we really ought to permit that kind of thing if the annoate extension or
some other such extension wishes it.

Why can't we just detail that the numbered varaibles made available as a
side effect of using matches or regex are read only rather than saying that
all numbered variables can not be set?  I guess if you want to
introduce/replace with the term "match variables" then that should give the
clarity and freedom I'm hoping for :o)

it seems clear to me that the term "numbered variable" really muddles
the understanding, so I have changed it into "match variable" in my copy
now.  I'll publish this version presently, there has been quite a few
changes lately.
--
Kjetil T.