Re: vacation and envelope-to: another try

2005-05-04 07:29:05

ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com writes:
> I have no problem calling out that the current envelope recipient
> address as an additional source of information for this check. I'll
> add text to this effect to the revision.

Make sure to define "current envelope recipient address" as the address
_after_ alias resolution at the final destination, ie. not the address
seen in the SMTP conversation. Otherwise mail to team(_at_)example(_dot_)com
would
likely trigger vacation responses from all absent team members.

By definition sieve operates at or around the time of final delivery. Aliases
necessarily have to be expanded prior to this point. I suppose an
implementation could have squirreled away original address information
somewhere/somehow, but how someone could mistakenly see it as appropriate to
use this material as a "current envelope address" escapes me.

Nevertheless, if it makes people feel better, I'll change the phrase to
read "final recipient address".

                                Ned