NULL vs. ""

2005-05-25 12:43:29

Hi,

in a sieve script (with variable and/or other extensions), can you think of a use where a null string works differently from an empty string, in a useful way?

One relevant null string could be the value of an absent header field. The first of these messages has a null subject, the second an empty subject.

---
From: a(_at_)example(_dot_)com
Date: 24 May 2005 19:52:09 +0100

Body text here
---
From: a(_at_)example(_dot_)com
Date: 24 May 2005 19:52:09 +0100

Body text here
---

I know it's possible to distinguish by looking at whether there is a header field at all. But that won't do. I need an example showing how differentiating the values of those two header fields could be useful and desirable.

If no such example exists, and I've tried really hard to find it, that's fine too ;) Then I can say that NULL and "" should be the same.

Arnt