Re: 3028bis open issue #2: unknown envelope-part names

2005-06-30 00:28:14

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 14:01 -0700, Philip Guenther wrote:

B) require implementations to reject parts other than "from" and "to"
   unless declared via some new extension
   CONS: makes Cyrus implementation non-conforming; breaks scripts that
         haven't been updated to require the new extension
   PROS: <standard "declare before use" argument>, scripts using "auth"
         aren't portable anyway

I believe portability is not so much of an issue, as much as what
decisions a GUI program can make when building Sieve scripts.

As a Sieve client, I would very much like an extra capability being
returned, 'envelope-auth', and use the LMTP auth. If it's not there, I
can fall back to other means of verification, such as RFC822 headers.

The question whether the same capability MUST be require'd in the script
itself is something that you know better than me if it should be
enforced. I don't have any strong opinions on the <standard "declare
before use" argument>. And since I haven't implemented 'envelope' yet at
all, I don't worry about backward compatibility and thus shouldn't have
a say on this particular issue. :)

Alexandros Vellis