Re: Updated Sieve notification draft

2005-09-27 10:40:40

Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 13:50 +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Abstract:
  This draft describes an extension to the Sieve mail filtering
  language that allows users to give specific preferences for
-    notification of Sieve actions.
+ notification of mail delivery.
Sieve notify can also be used to notify about Sieve actions executed for a message, so the original text is better in this respect.
The document as written is not quite clear how this has to be done, though.

I suggest:

       [...] that allows users to give specific rules for how and when
       notifications should be sent when mail is received.

I've deleted "when mail is received" part and used the suggested text.

One thought I have is to have separate documents describing how different notification schemas should be handled, e.g. a separate document for SMS, another one for XMPP, etc.

I think it would be good if the notify document described at least one
method.  it seems to me that the amount of explanation needed for SMS
and XMPP would be very little, and not worthy of a separate document.
there is no need to go into protocol specifics, IMHO, a simple mapping
for where the message should go seems sufficient.

SMS is trivial. XMPP is more interesting, because it allows for multiple alternative representations.

I would also like to avoid any normative reference to XMPP. This can be probably done if XMPP notifications are described in an informative appendix.

3.1 Notify Action
  In
  addition, if the notification method does not provide a timestamp,
  one SHOULD be appended to the notification.

Why bother with this?  While I agree it might be a sensible idea, I
was surprised to see it as a SHOULD, I guess it's not a MUST
though :o/

"appended" indicates to me that it should be part of the message, and
that just doesn't seem right.  most of the notification methods will
have a timestamp field which can be used, and if they don't and won't
"pollute" the message with a textual timestamp, well, tough cookies for
the users of that notification method.

Yes, I've changed "appended to the notification" to "included in the notification".

I can even lowercase SHOULD here.

I don't think that's appropriate.  either it should stay with capital
letters, or it should be removed.

I am still hesitating. I see a point of having a timestamp somewhere in a notification, either as a separate field or in the body.

What other people think about this?

Alexey