Re: Updated Sieve notification draft

2005-09-28 01:53:30

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 05:56:04PM +0200, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
one general issue which I think should be specified in 3.1, is how to
handle charsets when the notification method doesn't support full UTF-8.
something like: "Characters in the message which can't be represented by
the notification method SHOULD be replaced with a symbol indicating an
unknown character, e.g., a question mark."

Forget about that.  If you connect to a SMSC and speak UCP, it is your
choice how to convert the message text to IA5.  If you use a regular
gateway by SMTP or HTTP, you can not deliver IA5, but usually ISO-8859-15,
and you have no influence on how that is converted to IA5.  The ones I
saw so far just dropped characters they can not translate.

I choose to use UCP, if I can, but it is not offered by all SMS providers.

Michael